Friday, June 25, 2021
Wednesday, June 23, 2021
Young people aged under 21 are invited to write up to 500 words 500 words about nature in our biosphere, illustrating them with drawings and/or photos if they wish to.
This competition is open to young people everywhere, entry is free. This competition is open until August 12th 2021 after which date three category winners and three runners up will be selected. From the three winners, an overall winner will also be selected.
Winners will be selected from 3 categories under 12, 13-16 years and 17-21years.
Winners in each category will receive a turned wood sculpture from Killarney National Park and a gift bag. One Overall winner will be selected from Kerry to be put forward to the international competition, competing against entries from 3 other Biosphere Reserves in Ireland and the UK. This is a great opportunity to have their work shown internationally and there are further prizes to be won. Entries can be emailed to email@example.com.
Entries must include the following details: Name, address, email contact, year of birth.
If you have any questions please do get in touch with us via the contact page on the website, or call Eleanor (Biosphere Officer) on 0871524476
This competition is an official 50th Year anniversary celebratory event for the UNESCO Man and the Biosphere Programme.
Kerry Biosphere Reserve,
South Kerry Development Partnership CLG.,
Phone: (087) 1527746
Monday, June 21, 2021
I would be obliged if you could please share information about Cork County Library Summer Stars and Summer Arts with your teachers and parents.
I have attached the July 2021 newsletter from the Cork County Arts Office and there is lots of information about workshops and activities for children that will be running during the school Summer holidays in this.
We would ask you to encourage as many children as possible to sign up for this Summer Reading scheme at their local Cork County Library branch and if you could share the following information with your school communities:
Summer Stars 2021 has launched in Cork County Council Library and Arts Service. Call to your local library branch to get a reading card and record the books that you read during your Summer holidays. Even if you read just one book and return the completed reading card to your local Cork County Council Library and Arts Service branch library you will be entered in a raffle at the end of Summer and have the chance to win some great prizes. All children throughout Cork County are invited to join the adventure and enjoy the fun and pleasure of reading and writing over the Summer. Summer Stars is non-competitive. Every child who reads even one book/ e-book is regarded as having completed the programme and will be entered in a raffle at the end of Summer with the chance to win some great prize and it’s all completely free!
Activities for Summer Stars 2021:
1. Books: Call to your Cork County Council Library and Arts Service branch library to visit and stock up on your summer reads and register for Summer Stars!
2. Summer Stars BorrowBox: Browse, borrow, read and listen to the Summer Stars collection of children’s e-books and e-audio books through the library’s BorrowBox app. This is free for all members to use from anywhere, anytime. Non-members can join online for free at https://www.
3. Online Arts events: Summer Stars arts and craft workshops will be delivered online throughout the Summer. Ask in your local branch library and keep an eye on our Cork County Council Library and Arts Service social media pages for updates.
4. Story Competition: As well an enjoying the amazing worlds of books, Summer Stars is also celebrating children’s imaginations by running a short story competition. There are three age categories age 6-9, age 10-14, age 15-18 with great prizes including a Tablet and finalist in all categories will receive a €50 voucher for all the winners and runners-up. This is a national short story competition. To enter, write a story using the following opening line:
Of all the places in the world, I never thought I would be here…
Finish the story to enter this year's Summer Stars short story competition!
For terms and conditions and more information check the Libraries Ireland website at https://www.librariesireland.
5. Reading cards and reviews: Children can track their reading progress with reading cards which can be marked each time a book is read, online or in print form. These are available from your local library or for download and print below. The reviews section on the website: https://www.librariesireland.
6. Online Activities: Check your local Cork County Council Library and Arts Service social media and website for upcoming Summer Stars events and activities!
Thanks and regards,
Dolores Ní Chathasaigh
Leabharlannaí Feidhmiúcháin | Leabharlann Chontae Chorcaí
Comhairle Contae Chorcaí | Halla an Chontae | Corcaigh | T12 R2NC | Éire
T +353-(0)21 – 428 5609
Tairseach na gcustaiméirí: www.yourcouncil.ie
Executive Librarian | Cork County Library
Cork County Council | County Hall | Cork | T12 R2NC | Ireland
T +353-(0)21 – 428 5609
Customer Portal: www.yourcouncil.ie
Wednesday, June 16, 2021
Thursday, June 10, 2021
Wednesday, June 2, 2021
Tuesday, June 1, 2021
Campa Cois Laoi is a 5 day summer camp, aimed at children aged 6-12y/o. It will run from the 9th to the 13th August 2021 in St. Columbus GNS, Douglas, Cork. It will be run through Irish and will focus on the arts, mainly:drama, dance and singing. The camp will run from 9am -2pm each day, and will include lunch breaks.
Campa Cois Laoi is open to all children aged 6-12 regardless of their Irish speaking ability. We hope that by focussing on the arts, the children will absorb the language in a fun, and enjoyable manner, and in turn will improve their vocabulary skills. Parents & guardians are more than welcome to contact/ approach Cois Laoi Productions, or their staff members, through English if they feel more comfortable doing so.
There will be a performance at the end of the week that will be recorded, edited, and sent out to parents & guardians to share amongst their family and friends.
More information about the camp can be found at www.coislaoiproductions.com, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. As will as this, you can follow us on Facebook @coislaoiproductions, on Instagram @coislaoiproductions, or on Twitter @coislaoi_
Cois Laoi Productions